Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Slow Wine Guide, Part 2: Organic and BD Producers' "Great Wines" From Certified Vines
"GREAT WINES" FROM ORGANIC OR BD VINES
Fourteen wines from certified vineyards in the U.S. received the prestigious designation of Great Wine from Slow Wine in its 2019 Guide.
In particular, three remarkably young producers appear on this list:
• Analemma, in Oregon, for its Mencia (a Spanish grape) from the Columbia Gorge.
• Grimm's Bluff, in Santa Barbara County's Happy Canyon appellation, for its second vintage of its estate Cab.
• Solminer, also in Santa Barbara County, was recognized for its Rubellite Syrah made with carbonic maceration.
All three are Biodynamic vineyards and the first two wines were featured at the International Biodynamic Wine Conference last year. (Solminer was certified just after the conference).
This kind of recognition for these new producers is unprecedented. And a tribute to high farming and winemaking standards.
• Eisele Vineyard - Altagracia
Partially BD estate wine, partially purchases fruit.
(Note: the price was listed in error in the guide at $66 - a girl can only dream that it's $66. Luckily it's $25 a glass at a Calistoga hotel near the winery.)
• Grgich Hills Estate - Estate
A Napa cab that isn't $100! (It's $71).
• Grimm's Bluff - Estate | BD
This is a breakthrough for a young BD producer - Congrats! And well deserved recognition. Biodynamic vineyard manager Philippe Coderey planted these vines not so long ago, and look what the result is. This is only the second vintage from this estate.
• Heitz - Martha's Vineyard
One of the most decorated wines from the U.S. for decades.
• Ridge Vineyards - Estate (not the Monte Bello)
(Happy to have two cases of this aging in my cellar)
• Analemma Wines | BD
Another big surprise win! Congrats!
• Brick House Vineyards | Evelyn's BD
Mom (Evelyn) must be proud!
• Eyrie Vineyards - Original Vines
• Radio-Coteau - Terra Neuma | BD
Another one of my personal favorites. Swoonworthy.
Red Rhone Blend
• Tablas Creek - Esprit de Tablas | BD
The bet on finding a place to grow mourvedre paid off.
• Solminer - Rubellite (carbonic maceration)
Only 100 cases made.
White Alsatian Blend
• Robert Sinskey Vineyards
One of my favorite whites from Napa.
• Winery Sixteen 600
Only 84 cases made.
Soter Vineyards - Mineral Ranch Brut Rosé | BD