Sunday, April 7, 2013

Buying Now: Because Botrytis Doesn't Happen Every Year

I have to admit, I'm partial to organic growers turned vintners - Guinness McFadden, Volker Eisele, Charlie Barra. So it's no surprise I'm raving about a few more incredible wines from McFadden Vineyards - again.

I've often mentioned their sparkling Brut here - a house wine in my house. And with good reason. As everyday wines go, organic bubblies are not that affordable, but if you're a wine club member and you shop the sales, you can get this beauty for 40% off - which makes it a mere $14.

And it's not just me who thinks it's great - it won a Double Gold in the 2012 Mendocino Wine  Competition (and the year before).

This past year McFadden's had two breakthrough wines - a 2011 botrytis beauty, Late Harvest Riesling, which took a Best of Class award in the dessert wine category in the SF Chronicle Wine Competition and their 2011 Chardonnay which won a Double Gold.

While other botrytis dessert wines in 375 ml bottles (Far Niente's Dolce, for example) go for $55 and up (I just tasted another winery's $80 one today), the McFadden retails for $24 for a 750 ml (full size) bottle (with a 25% discount for wine club members putting it at $18). And it's so lovely.

Smaller bottles - 375 ml - will be available soon.

I've just placed my order for five cases of each of the dessert wines so this can be my new house dessert wine.

And now that I've made my purchases of this soon-to-be-completely-sold-out wine, you should get on the phone and get yours right away. There will be no Groupon coupon - you don't need one at these prices/quality.

And botrytis, the lovely sweetening agent of late harvest grapes (that gives birth to the historically desired Sauternes and Tokay's), doesn't come every year.

I might be able to give some of the little bottles away (birthdays, Christmas), since I find that dessert wines make good gifts that pretty much everyone likes, but then again - I might not. It's really, really good.

For Chardonnay lovers, you better get on the phone, too, as the supply of this unoaked, superstar Chard is about to run out.

Winery number is 707.744.8463.

Also a reminder: Hopland Passport, with the best deals on the most organically grown wines (at everyday prices) is coming up - the first weekend in May. To prepare, read my perennial post on Hopland Passport here. And - book the hotel, and empty the trunk. And tell all your friends to come, too. It's partying without the pesticides!

No comments:

Post a Comment