This info graphic comes from Wine.com…and it's helpful in trying to understand the different categories of "green" wines.
I'd add a few notes:
1. "Biodynamic® Wine" (a certified wine category) are the only certification that guarantees NO additives other than sulfites. There is no "natural wine" standard or certifier.
Most "natural" wines made in the U.S. are not from certified organic vineyards. (There are a few exceptions - AmByth wines, Cooper Mountain's LIFE Pinot Noir, and Preston's new organic Syrah - all of which have no added sulfites.)
Frey Wines' Biodynamic Wines are also made according to "natural" wine tenets - i.e. no added sulfites, native yeasts, etc. - but the natural wine movement has shied away from embracing them because they are not as artisanal as other "natural" wines.
2. Organic Wine and the USDA
We do not have only one wine standard in organics. We have three organic wine standards - Organic Wine (no added sulfites), Made with Organically Grown Grapes (up to 100 ppm of sulfites), and Ingredients: Organic Grapes (0-350 ppm of sulfites - like all other wines).
But the main issue with organics is not sulfites - the main issue IS pesticides, herbicides and fungicides.
3. Many organically grown wines are in fact NOT LABELED. In fact, most organically grown wines (from certified vineyards) from top producers in our best wine regions are not bottle labeled with certification.
4. Contrary to what you might think, brand stories about organics may be misleading as much as the LACK of a brand story about organic grapes. If you get my drift.
You have to look, wine by wine, at what producers actually make from organic vines. Some tell a big story but only make a few wines. Some tell no story and make 100% organically grown wines. (That's why you need to get my apps!) But now you CAN find them.
5. The info graphic should be completely changed, in my view, into two pictures - one about organics and one about "sustainability." One is about not using poison and one is about economizing and trying to be a good citizen (while using poison).