Friday, August 19, 2022

Selling to Target and BevMo: Where Organic Wine Fits

Last month I wrote a piece for WineBusiness.com on the buyers for Target and BevMo at the bulk wine show in San Francisco and their programs for working with wineries to purchase wine. Now a video of the session has been released on YouTube. 

The buyers touched briefly on the subject of organics, in the Q and A, when I asked the buyers about the recent story (which ran the same day as their presentations and which I wrote) about Gallo introducing an organically grown Black Box wine. 

Jeff Feist, the former Category Lead for Spirits & More at BevMo! weighed in: 

"What if listen, if Gallo's doing it, they're doing it for a reason–because they see the trends. They have the data, much more data than we do...I tend to believe it because they're pretty good at what they do. So if Gallo's doing it, my guess is you'll see a lot of other companies testing that as well, because Gallo probably doesn't jump in without doing a whole lot of research. So I think that's a good trend."

Ryan Pandl, Senior Buyer, Adult Beverages and Beverages at Target said he thought that we might see more organic labeling on wines that were certified organic but weren't labeled. 

"I think you'll see people take credit for it. I know we have a lot of import wine right now that's organic, but we're not talking about it, and I think you'll just see, 'Oh, this was already organic. Why don't we talk about that and get credit from the guests for doing something that's important to them?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment